Periodontal disease begins as inflammation of gum tissue. As it progresses, it deteriorates the connective tissue and bone to which teeth are attached. Eventually, the condition causes tooth loss and can affect overall health. Gross debridement, a service available at John Ravera, DDS in Newport Beach, CA, can be an important first step in assessing and treating gum disease.
The role of oral debriding in periodontal therapy
Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection of gums, ligaments, and bone. Medical conditions, pregnancy, nutrition, and heredity can be factors in its development. However, gum disease is primarily the result of poor oral hygiene and smoking. It can generally be prevented with daily brushing and flossing, and regular visits to the dentist for professional cleaning. When that does not occur, build-up of plaque (a sticky bacterial biofilm) and tartar (hardened plaque) becomes so significant that it prevents the dental team from performing a comprehensive evaluation and thorough cleaning.
The dental debridement procedure
Full mouth debridement involves removal of plaque and calculus. It generally follows these steps:
- If you are anxious about the procedure, Dr. Ravera may suggest a mild oral sedative for a low-stress visit
- The mouth may be numbed with local anesthetic to avoid sensitivity, as cementum on root surface exposed by receding gums is cleaned
- Using manual instruments and an ultrasonic scaler, the hygienist detaches dense deposits from teeth and exposed root surfaces
- The scaler uses water and vibration to pulverize calculus
- As an added benefit, treatment removes stains and promotes healing of gum tissue
- Usually, a routine prophy (cleaning) is completed immediately after debridement
- Then the dentist can examine the mouth and design an effective plan of periodontal treatment
Ideally, you will only need debridement one time. Then, a good home care routine should keep teeth clean between dental visits.
Patients in Newport Beach, CA benefit from gross debridement
It is never too late to get your mouth in better shape! At John Ravera, DDS General and Cosmetic Dentistry, you won’t get a lecture… even if you haven’t seen a dentist in a long time. You will get personalized treatment to improve your oral health and the appearance of your smile. Please don’t wait! Call 949-877-3606 today to schedule an examination.